Benvenuti a Buona Fortuna!
WHO WE ARE
The Order Sons & Daughters of Italy in America (OSDIA) is the oldest and largest fraternal organization of Italian American men and women in the United States and represents an estimated 26 million Americans of Italian heritage who are dedicated to promoting Italian culture, traditions, and language.
Originally called “Figli d’Italia,” the Order Sons of Italy in America® was established in the Little Italy neighborhood of New York City on June 22, 1905, by Vincenzo Sellaro, M.D. and five other Italian immigrants who came to the United States during the great Italian migration (1880-1923). Their aim was to create a support system for all Italian immigrants that would assist them with becoming U.S. citizens, provide health/death benefits and educational opportunities and offer assistance with assimilation in America. Since then, OSDIA (“Daughters” was added to the name in 2017) has assisted the Italian American community by working closely with Congress and the White House on issues concerning Italian-Americans.
Some of the programs offered by OSDIA include
- loans to cultural conferences on a national scale
- allocation of scholarships for college students of Italian-American descent
- monitoring of the media against negative images of Italian-Americans and their traditions
- collaboration with other Italian-American groups to prevent anti-smear campaigns
- development of cultural and economic relations between Italy and the United States
- serving local communities through a variety of cultural events and raising funds for local charities
With over 500,000 members and supporters and more than 650 chapters coast to coast, OSDIA provides countless services to its members and to charitable causes. The organization’s outreach extends beyond Italian-American citizens, seeking a better society-at-large.
OSDIA is organized and governed by the national, state and local levels, much like the United States’ system of government.
At the National Level:
- Governed by a nationally elected Supreme Council (Board of Directors).
- Two subsidiary 501(c)(3) organizations to support OSDIA’s philanthropic and anti-defamation goals: The Sons of Italy Foundation® (SIF) and The Commission for Social Justice® (CSJ); each has their own nationally elected officers.
- The National Headquarters and its staff operate on behalf of OSIA, SIF, and CSJ governing bodies.
- OSDIA works in partnership with the Order Sons of Italy in Canada, an offshoot of OSDIA.
At the State Level:
- 19 Grand Lodges (state/regional chapters)
- Governed by a Grand Council (officers) elected by state/regional membership
- Some Grand Lodges have offices to handle administrative and operational functions
At the Local Level:
- More than 650 filial and subordinate lodges (local chapters).
- Filial lodges are organized in states/regions with a Grand Lodge.
- Subordinate lodges are organized in states/regions without a Grand Lodge.
If you live in the Gulf Coast area and are of Italian descent or simply love all things Italian, you are invited to join Buona Fortuna – an organization that immerses you in Italian culture while, at the same time, giving back to its community.
We welcome snowbirds, veterans, and active-duty military and their families.
Information can be found on the Membership page on this website. Feel free to contact us with questions using the form below.