WHO WE ARE
The Order Sons of Italy in America (OSIA) is the oldest and largest organization of Italian American men and women in the United States and represents an estimated 26 million Americans of Italian heritage who are dedicated to promoting Italian culture, traditions and language.
Originally called “Figli d’Italia,” the Order Sons of Italy in America® was established in the “Little Italy” neighborhood of New York City on June 22, 1905, by Vincenzo Sellaro, M.D. and five other Italian immigrants who came to the United States during the great Italian migration (1880-1923). Their aim was to create a support system for all Italian immigrants that would assist them with becoming U.S. citizens, provide health/death benefits and educational opportunities and offer assistance with assimilation in America. Since then, OSIA has assisted the Italian American community by working closely with Congress and the White House on issues concerning Italian-Americans.
Some of the programs offered by OSIA are:
- Loans to cultural conferences on a national scale.
- Allocation of scholarships for college students of Italian-American descent.
- Monitoring of the media against negative images of Italian-Americans and their traditions.
- Collaboration with other Italian-American groups to prevent anti-smear campaigns.
- Development of cultural and economic relations between Italy and the United States.
- Serve the local communities through a variety of cultural events and raising funds for local charities.
With over 500,000 members and supporters and more than 650 chapters coast to coast, OSIA provides countless services to its members and to charitable causes. The organization’s outreach extends beyond Italian-American citizens, seeking a better society at-large.
OSIA is organized and governed on the national, state and local levels, much like the United States’ system of government.
At the National Level:
- Governed by a nationally elected Supreme Council (Board of Directors).
- Two subsidiary 501(c)(3) organizations to support OSIA’s philanthropic and anti-defamation goals: The Sons of Italy Foundation® (SIF) and The Commission for Social Justice® (CSJ); each have their own nationally elected officers.
- The National Headquarters and its staff operate on behalf of OSIA, SIF and CSJ governing bodies.
- OSIA works in partnership with the Order Sons of Italy®® in Canada, an offshoot of OSIA.
At the State Level:
- 19 Grand Lodges (state/regional chapters).
- Governed by a Grand Council (officers) elected by state/regional membership.
- Some Grand Lodges have offices to handle administrative and operational functions.
At the Local Level:
- More than 650 filial and subordinate lodges (local chapters).
- Filial lodges are organized in states/regions with a Grand Lodge.
- Subordinate lodges are organized in states/regions without a Grand Lodge.
Buona Fortuna Lodge #2835
Our lodge, Buona Fortuna, was founded in Pensacola, Florida in November 2006 by Bill Zuppa, Gene Valentino and Rita Somma. Since our establishment, we have been dedicated to upholding the values of our Grand Lodge of Florida while promoting fraternity within our lodge, as well as in our community. If you are of Italian descent, live in the Gulf Coast area, are interested in joining an organization that immerses you in Italian culture and gives back to its community, please consider joining Buona Fortuna. Information can be found on the Membership page on this website. Feel free to look around our site and, if you have any further questions, please contact us at our email address below.
To request document viewing contact: Buona Fortuna at email@example.com
Order Sons of Italy in America, Buona Fortuna Lodge #2835, is a 501(c)(3) Public Charity.
Public Inspection of Application Form 1023 and Form 990 EZ are available for the public to inspect upon request without charge (except a reasonable charge for copies).
The IRS also makes these Documents available upon request.
For information about Buona Fortuna contact the Webmaster, Jovina Coughlin: firstname.lastname@example.org or use the contact form below.